Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Thesaurus


 
Okay, let's be honest for a second. We do not all have the very best of vocabularies. Even I find myself using the same words over, and over, and over, and over, and over (catch what I did there?!).

So what can we do to improve our vocabulary? USE THE THESAURUS! You know, that book that sits on the shelf in my room gathering dust? We do have Chromebooks now, but quite honestly, you need the practicing using the actual book. 







Now, when you are choosing words, you want to make sure that your choice does not overpower your sentence! Make sure that you don't get so thesaurus happy that your sentence stops sounding like YOU. I want to hear your voice throughout your essay; I do not want to hear the voice of the thesaurus.













You also need to make sure that you use the words correctly. This is probably the #1 issue with thesaurus use. Yes, I want you to use Groovy words; however, like I said above, I also want to hear YOU correctly in your essay. 












In the comments section below, share your favorite word and the meaning of the word that you looked up today! 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humiliated-make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect, especially publicly.

    ReplyDelete