Friday, March 4, 2016

Splurged

I saw the sign, and before I realized it, I was turning.


It was as if the lady was beckoning me, "Broooke....Brooookeeeeee! You deserve me!"


I never hardly ever drink coffee shop coffees. I have a hard time spending $5 on something that I can make for $.50 at home. Today was different. I was in the nearest bigger town..I've had a very sick toddler on my hands...and I splurged. And boy, was it worth it! As I popped the straw on my open palm to open it, I thought about the $4.71 I just spent on a blended up coffee. I could have used that money somewhere else. All the negative thoughts vanished as soon as the first frozen sips hit my tongue. Butterscotch, coffee, and whipped cream exploded onto my taste buds, and for just a moment, I am pretty sure I was hearing the Hallalujah Chorus. I couldn't help but close my eyes and whisper, "Oh my stars!" Then I shook my head, as if that was going to clear my craziness. I was actually enjoying coffee shop coffee. Overpriced coffee. Ridiculously fancy coffee. Delicious coffee. Fantastic coffee.

My coffee.


At every red light I found myself closing my eyes and savoring the sip down to the very last, very unladylike slurp at the bottom. I splurged, and in the words of Uncle Jesse, "Have Mercy!"


6 comments:

  1. Sometimes what we need most is a very special treat. Sounded like you really needed it - and that it was sooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I don't drink coffee, I don't have that dilemma....but that coffee you got does sound good, so I might just have to try. I also liked you using the Hallelujah Chorus! I heard it too. Have mercy on me as I am on my last day of this Flower Power Cruise and don't have much time to write comments. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to savor every last sip of your special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet treat and delicious description! Sounded very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days it's totally worth it to spend the money :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Figuring out how and when to "treat" yourself is an art! Having the time and the money at the precise instant are a challenge! This sounded like a needed treat!

    ReplyDelete