Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Phrase for the year

Wow. Another school year is beginning which means it is time to get back into the swing of blogging! While I love doing this, I have found myself having to create time in my day to post something. That feeling of CREATING the time goes hand in hand with my phrase for this year.



I realized I was using the terms INTENT, INTENTIONAL, & PURPOSEFUL all summer while writing curriculum and planning my days. 

What does INTENTIONAL even mean? I know I have my definition in my head, but just for grins I did a little Googling. Intention is an aim or a plan. So to be intentional is to set out with an aim or a plan...a goal! Naturally, that leads me to my next thought: how can I live a life that is full of INTENT? While I was using the Google machine, I found this  poem from a book by Mary Anne Radmacher that I just had to share. 


LIVE WITH INTENTION. WALK TO THE EDGE. LISTEN HARD. PRACTICE WELLNESS. PLAY WITH ABANDON. LAUGH. CHOOSE WITH NO REGRET. APPRECIATE YOUR FRIENDS. CONTINUE TO LEARN. DO WHAT YOU LOVE. LIVE AS IF THIS IS ALL THERE IS. – Mary Anne Radmacher

Live as if this is all there is.....wow! Think about that for a moment! Read that poem again.

I then ran across this great quote from my daily reading in Rocking Ordinary by Lea Ann Garfias, "It takes conscious effort to be graceful, truly loving and forgiving to those around us." How true is that? It is easy to hold grudges and get snippy and gossip and not do my part and have a bad attitude (EEK! Be careful, Mrs. Kinsman!), and keep to myself, and...and...and... On the flip side, Mrs. Garfias says that it takes a CONSCIOUS effort. I have to be thinking about it!!!!! 

I want to be the type of person that thinks through my actions. I do not want to just live a life all willy nilly (great vocabulary haha!). 



My phrase or motto that I hope to live by this year is to Be Intentional in everything I do. When I speak, I want to speak with good intentions. I want my actions to prove intentional. I want to have a reason, a plan, an aim, a goal for everything I do and say. Everything! I want to be seen as someone that has put thought into their words and actions. I want to be seen as someone who is teaching with the intention that I am molding a great new generation of citizens. 

If you had to pick a motto for this year, what would it be? Do you pick a word or phrase to dwell on each year?

1 comment:

  1. I love this Brooke! You inspire me to do better. Joni

    ReplyDelete